The 60s....a crazy time!
The youth (high school students, college students, artists)
- ... criticizes the American way of life, meaning:
> politics of power
> Vietnam war
- ... questions the ideals of wealth and refuses to fit into a society with taboos:
> civil rights movement
> gays are no more ashamed and go into public
> sex is not dirty"
> taking drugs is no reason to go into jail"
- hippie movement started in San Francisco
> hippies often associated with communism, anarchism -> WRONG!
- every country has ist own problems / issues at this time à Germany: 68-movement
- motto: "Make love, not war!" -> dream of liberty, peace and love
- flowers are symbol for peace and -> deep association to nature -> colorful
Woodstock Festival (1969)
- climax of 60s
- festival for peace and music- original a commercial idea: Michael Lang wanted to make money
- they expected 60,000 visitors - 400,000 came
> chaotic days ( medicine, toilets,...)
> traffic jams -> actors had to be flown in
> bands had to improvise
> free consumption of drugs
- first no financial success -> made money with cds, videos
--> Hippie time "ended" when it turned from a little group into a mass of people (1967)